Physical activity is any body movement produced by skeletal muscles that require energy expenditure.
These activities include walking, dancing, cycling, and doing household chores.
Physical activity is any form of exercise or movement of the body that uses energy.
Other examples are mowing your yard, and walking the dog.
Physical inactivity is a global public health problem.
One in four adults-1.4 Million does not meet the World Health Organisation (WHO) recommendations on physical activity.
Benefits of physical activity to your health
- A review found that increased physical activity or cardiorespiratory fitness was linked to lower mortality risk than intentional weight loss.
- Physical activity improves heart health markers
- Helped participants maintain their weight loss over time
- Physical activity is known to reduce the risk of common chronic diseases.
- it helps to improve their health and wellbeing
- Being active improves your health
- Being active helps the environment as fewer cars and fossil fuels are used.
- being active contributes to employment opportunities
- Being active helps create a cohesion stronger environment where people meet and interact
- Physical activity is important for your mental health
- Physical activity helps improve your mood
- It relieves loneliness and depression.
- It helps to reduce stress
It reduces anxiety
Where can physical activity be done?
Physical activity can be done at home or at work.
Adults need at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity throughout the week. Or you can do at least 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity throughout the week or an equivalent combination of moderate and vigorous intensity activities.
Children should accumulate 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity.
Older adults with poor mobility should perform physical activity to enhance balance and prevent falls 3 or more days a week
People of all ages should do strengthening activities involving major muscle groups on two or more days.
Therefore add physical activity to your regime.